Poole Genealogical - Anthony Campbell Poole

Issue Date: 15/6/2001

Return Home

A transcription of work by OM Poole.

Subject 2-B


                      Anthony Campbell Poole:

eldest son of Otis Manchester Poole and Dorothy Campbell Poole, was born 
March 29th, 1917, at No.68 Bluff, Yokohama, Japan, and died April 
18/1944 at Lima, Peru, when only twenty seven.

Tony's early childhood was spent in Yokohama where his parents lived at
No.68 Bluff, in a pleasant two-storied  house owned by Dr. "Judy" 
Wheeler, (who, incidentally brought Tony, his two brothers and even his
mother into the world) half way along the main Bluff road at the head
of a gully running dowu to the Japanese village of Kitagata which
girdled the spur of the beautiful "Bluff Gardens". All the rooms of 68
Bluff, on both floors, faced Southwards down the valley and had wide,
glassed in verandas overlooking a small hedged lawn, - an ideal, sunny

Tony's devoted baby-amah, Old Mine, the daughter of a Sugita fisherman,
brought up several foreign children, and being now over fifty, her kind, 
honest face reassembled an old ivory "netsuke"; but never was there a 
more loving and gentle soul. The house-boy, Izhii, who had been with 
Tony's grandmother Poole for years until her death, was now an equally 
loyal and indulgent family retainer.

With the pleasant diversions of a Far East port, and occasional 
vacations up country at Karuizawa  or the seashore of Dzushi and 
Kamakra, this was the setting of Tony's and his younger brother's 
earliest years.

When Tony was 5 years old, Dick 3, and David 1 1/2, they experienced
their first long sea-voyage of seven weeks from Japan around via Suez
to England.  With their parents and a rosy young English nanny, Miss
Flitton, they left Japan at the end of February 1922, on the Nippon
Yusen Kaisha's newest liner "Haruna Maru" with a year's leave ahead.
They stayed one night with their Aunt Eleanor and Uncle George Maitland
and small cousin Donald, in Shanghai and were fascinated by their first 
sight of Chinese throngs and junks on the river.  Even more exciting was 
Hongkong with its blue bay encircled by high hills; but it was the 
tropical fragrance, the palm trees and the dark-skinned natives of 
Singapore, Columbo and Suez that most enthralled then, especially a
turbanned snake-charmer in Ceylon whose cobra rose out of its basket,
swaying to the notes of his flute, and who then pulled yards of silk
ribbon and flags out of his mouth while chanting "Indian belly velly

Passing through the Suez Canal with the yellow desert stretching away on 
either side also impressed the children, followed by the clamour of Port 
Said and not long afterward, two days ashore at Marseille.

Arriving finally in London on April 12th, the family moved down almost
immediately to the hamlet of Brook in the New Forest where a cottage
awaited them in which to spend the Spring and Summer.  It was a lovely
spot with the forest in front and behind; and the forest glades in which 
the boys could roam at will were already full of blue-bells and Spring 
flowers.  Never having seen grazing cattle (the bamboo grass of Japan 
precluding this except in the Northern Island) the browsing cows and all 
the other friendly farm animals were a constant delight to the three 
brothers, Tony wanting to know if the brown cows gave us Ovaltine!

At the end of a perfect Summer the family moved to the windy, and often
rainy, moors of Devonshire, staying at Lustleigh; and when Winter
approached, moved back to London for a final few months during which
the boys' father had to leave them after X'mas and return to Japan via
America ahead of then.  It was not until March that they and their
mother finally set sail via Suez, a dashing young Danish governess,
Miss Lauritsen, accompanying them.  Tony, now six, benefited by her
excellent coaching in his first lessons; and once back home again at 68
Bluff, made a start at the piano. It turned out, however that her real
ambition was to become a stenographer and at the end of Summer she left
the family just prior to the Great Earthquake of September 1st, getting
caught up country at Miyanoshita where she had gone for a preliminary
vacation.  Pluckily, she made her way back on a bicycle, with three
young foreigners, was found at dusk wandering alone along the desolate,
burned out Bluff, and taken on board one of the rescue ships in
Yokohama harbour two days after the catastrophe.  To complete the
story, she married well six months later in Shanghai!

The family, including the boys' parents and their great-aunt Mabel
Fraser all escaped death or injury in the quake and after enduring the
harrowing experiences described elsewhere by Tony's father, found
refuge on board Mr.Campbell's large yacht "Daimyo" in Yokohama harbor,
Tony was six at the time of the disaster, which left a deep impression
on him, not so much of fear as of rebellion against the ruthless
destruction.  As he was being carried on his grandfather's shoulders
over the massive ruins of Church blocking the Bluff road, from which point one could look across the tumbled cemetery to the raging fire consuming the city below, Tony asked "Commodore, why does God let all this happen? I would'nt be as cruel as God!". A strange thought from a six year old who had himself just escaped being killed.

With hundreds of other homeless refugees, the family was evacuated two
days later in the "Empress of Canada", the boys, their mother and
faithful Mine going on to Shanghai to stay three months with their Aunt
Eleanor and Uncle George Maitland while their father disembarked at
Kobe to reassemble his scattered office staff and start the long task
of reconstruction.   In the tranquillity of the Maitland home and with
the companionship of their five year old cousin Donald and the
ministrations of his kind and capable nurse-governess Emily, the boys
soon recovered from their experiences and in December returned with
their mother and Mine to Kobe where, for the next year and a half, they
lived with their father in the Shea house above San-bon-matsu, a shrine
on Kitano-cho, the highest residential street of Kobe. For the three
Summer months of 1924 all moved up to a semi-Japanese cottage by the
7th green of the golf course on the crest of the Rokkosan hills, 2,500
ft, high, above the Inland sea, where their father joined then every
weekend.  Tony always remembered the liquid song of the little green
Uguisu birds when sunrise first tipped the mountain crests.

In May, 1925, Kobe, historically immune from earthquakes was startled
by a violent one in mid-morning, spreading consternation but doing
little serious damage. The boy's mother, who had dashed up the hill
from the shopping district to make sure they were safe, suffered a
reaction; and the firm compassionately suggested that it was a good
time, now that reorganisation was virtually completed, for the boys'
father to take the family away for 3 or 4 months somewhere out of Japan
to recuperate.  Gratefully they left Kobe on July 7/1925 in the
"Empress of Asia" for Victoria, B.C. where, settling down in Oak Bay,
Tony attended a good English school and continued his piano lessons.
When, at the end of 4 months, the boys' father was asked to relieve the
firm's New York Manager while on sick leave, the family remained on in
Victoria pending his return; but when six months passed and his
appointment in New York had become permanent, he came to fetch them at
the end of June 1926 and they settled down in Summit, New Jersey, a
wooded suburb 18 miles across the Hudson from New York, which for the
rest of their boyhood became "home" to Tony and his brothers. Since
l922, Tony had been entered for Marlborough School in Wiltshire,
England, and for a fine prep-school before that which he would have
been due to enter at the age of ten. Now that the family was to be
permanently in America, all that was changed and the boys could be
brought up in American schools. So in the end the dire calamity of the
earthqwake turned out a blessing, in one way at least.

The three boys were a singularly close-knit trio, collaborating happily
in all sorts of imaginative pursuits, making puppet shows, model ships
and airplanes writing illustrated stories, devising new indoor war
games, building tree-houses and making all their Christmas presents for
their elders. They had their own workshop and were dextrous with tools.
Tony as the eldest, was naturally the leader and some if his model
gaileons that have been preserved are still astonishing.

All three boys at first attended Miss Hoods school for small fry, and
about a year later progressed to a private school for boys, the
excellent Lance School of Summit where they made many lifelong
friendships.  As a compact trio, the boys provided a nucleus for
impromptu games of touch football, baseball and other enterprises and
always had a group of boys around them.

In 1928, when Tony was eleven, he had his first Summer away from home
at Lancewood Camp in the Catskills, run by his headmaster Harold Lance
a taste of open air life including hill climbing and horse-back riding,
from which he returned a sturdy, tow-headed, self-reliant youngster
hardly recognisable under freckles and tan.  While there, his drawings
and soap-sculptures attracted the attention of a well-known New York
portrait painter Ali Ben Hagen summering nearby who asked to meet his
parents, invited them all to his studio and after giving Tony a trial
run at an easel, offered to teach him portraiture when he grew older,
as his protege.  Though unquestionably an opportunity, Tony's parents
were disinclined to pursue it.

Other Summers were spent in various places with the family, Bay Head
and Beach Haven on the Jersey shore, Milton on the Hudson with good
friends, the artist James Scott anA his talented Danish wife Kirsten;
with maternal relatives in Canaan, New Hampshire as well as visits at
the Summer places of one or two school friends.

In 1933 the three boys and their parents were invited by their father's
brother Bertie and their Aunt Maya to spend the month of July in a
cottage beside theirs at Squawm Lake, New Hampshire; and in these
delightful surroundings they got to know their cousins John, Eleanor,
Molly and David Poole, fresh from years spent in Japan, China and one
in Switzerland, their father "Uncle Bertie" having retired from the
Standard Oil Co. of N.Y. in 1933, to settle in Milton, Massachusetts,
after 22 years with them in the Far East.

Tony had always been of an artistic temperament and besides drawing and
painting with unusual ability was naturally musical and by the time he
was twelve or thirteen played the piano with an appealing touch and
sensitivity.  Unfortunately, the 1929 stock market crash interrupted
his piano lessons and they were never renewed, but he continued to play
for his own pleasure. In 1932, on graduating from Lance School, Tony
went into the Summit High School for its Junior and Senior years, and
while there took up the flute and amongst his own chums organised an
enthusiastic small orchestra alternating himself between the piano and
flute. At the outset it was earsplitting and hilarious but they ended
up by being quite popular.  Tony did continue studying art, for a while
under Blanche Greer in Summit and then under the famous Bridgman in New
York, all through the Summer of 1935.   Even more instructive, and
more exciting, were the two Summer months that he spent in l934 at
the Art Colege of Eliot 0'Hara, a famous Washington artist, at
Goose Rocks Beach, Maine. In exchange for assisting O'Hara with
a variety of Camp duties, Tony received two complete courses in water-
color painting, an experience which strongly influenced and developed
his own naturally bold style.  Not the least entertaining feature of
his Summer was that he was quartered in and had charge of a separate
student building that housed eight girls between 16 and 20, that went
by the name of "The O'Harem".  Tony painted some striking pictures up
there which we still treasure; and even sold one which he entitled
"Payne's Grey's Elegy".

In September 1934 Tony entered Haverford College, a Quaker institution
though not exclusively so, in a beautiful settlement outside
Philadelphia.  Though a small college of about 400 students, it
ranks high scholastically; and as the entire student body live on
the Campus and there are no fraternities, friendships are widespread.
Tony's most endearing characteristic had always been a cheery bonhommie
and he soon made many friends at Haverford.  In his first two years he
concentrated on literature and creative writing which at one time he
thought of making his career having a flair in that direction; in fact,
several of his creditable articles and stories appeared in the
"Haverfordian".  In this ambition he was encouraged by McGregor Jenkins
(retired associate editor with Ellery Sedgwick of the Atlantic Monthly)
whom he and his parents had met at Williamstown and who, on reading his
stories, gave Tony some useful hints and letters of introduction to
several editors in New York.  Tony came to feel, however, that he
needed travel and more mature experience as a springboard for a
literary career and turned his attention in college to studies that
would be more helpful in a commercial career.   His grandfather Campbell
having in former years been the Agent of the Grace Lines in Japan, old
friendships made it easy to secure an invitation for Tony to take a
Summer job as assistant purser or supercargo on one of the Grace Liners
running from New York through the Caribbean and down the West Coast of
South America to Valparaiso, Chile; and in June, 1937, he sailed away
in high spirits on a round voyage in the liner "Santa Barbara", his

glimpse of foreign countries since he came from Japan at the age
of eight.  With liberty to go ashore at every port, he enjoyed the
novelty of Spanish-American cities and the colorful Indian people
and came home full of his adventures, which proved to be a prelude
to his subsequent career.

The following year, 1938, he and a college chum took on a very
different sort of Summer job as joint desk Clerks at the Pasquanay Inn
on Newfound Lake, New Hampshire, the new owner of which, a retired
naval officer, left everything practically to them.  Their experiences
were hilarious and lost nothing in the telling.

Graduating from Haverford with a B.A. degree, Tony joined W.R.Grace &
Co., the largest American firm throughout South America, and started
work in their New York head office in March 1939.  A few months later,
he switched over to their Steamship side and made two more initiatory
voyages to South America, one as assistant freight clerk and the other
as assistant purser.  In January, 1940, he was taken into Grace's
Cristobal office in the Canal Zone, the manager of which, Elbert Brown,
had in years earlier been assistant to Tony's grandfather Campbell in
Yokohama, when the Pacific Mail was operating Grace Line ships.  An odd
cycle.  Within the office, he soon made friends with Frank Sheldon, in
charge of Panagra (Pan-American-Grace Airways) who impressed Tony with
the greater opportunities in the Air service and with kindly interest
coached him at every opportunity.  The upshot was that when Sheldon, in
May, was needed in Bolivia in an emergency and there was no one handy
to take his place, he recommended Tony for the Job and El Brown, on
checking his competence, promptly secured headquarters' assent.   A
year later, in 1941, Sheldon was transferred again and Tony was
appointed to take charge of the Panagra Agency in La Paz, Bolivia,
12,000 ft up in the Andes.  This Agency also operated the German
Lufthansa subsidiary, "Lloyd Aero" taken over by the Bolivian
Government in the course of World War II.  While in La Paz, Tony shared
a bachelor mess with two young fellow-Americans and a jovial, rotund
Englishman, Cecil Gee of the I.T.& T., ten years older than himself,
who later on visited the States and became a family friend.

Tony spent three interesting years in Bolivia and travelled all over
the country visiting remote sub-agencies and yet remoter areas where
none yet existed, being one moment at 12,000 ft. altitude and the next
in the blistering heat of the Oriente at jungle level, his scratch
meals consisting often of native charque (dried meal) or of a tin of
sardines from his bag.  Tony had a great zest for the unusual and his
graphic letters home about the simmering country, remote Spanish
missions and isolated missionaries working among wild Indian tribes,
were absorbing.  They said little, however, about the strain on his
health, which was insidious.

Tony was blessed with an engaging personality, being tall, fair and
good looking, and combining with level-headed ability a blithe spirit
which made him popular with everyone and caused faces to light up when
he entered a room.   He was particularly well liked by Spaniards and
South Americans and not only got on well with them socially, as he
spoke fluent Spanish, but in business too. At times, however, after the
United States entered the war, he was disturbed at being so far away in
South America; but was urgently requested by the Embassy to carry on
where he was, the efficient operation of the air line, frequently
engaged in transporting strategic material, being vital.

Towards the end of 1943, he met in La Paz an American au girl of quiet
charm newly attached to the U.S. Embassy - Luba Gustus, slim, dark-
haired, with an appealingly delicate dignity and a month later, on
December l9/l943 they were married by a Spanish civil ceremony in the
beautiful garden of good friends in the Foreign Service, Oliver and
Sally Marcy, surrounded by a group of their well-wishers.  Luba was of
Russian parents, born March 30, 1916, at Khabasovsk, Siberia, daughter
of Sergei and Marya (Gromovskaya) Arlyustin.  Her father, a White
Russian, died in the confused fighting of the Bolshevik Revolution when
Luba was a baby; and her mother then married a soldier of the American
Army in Siberia, Arthur Gustus, whose name Luba took. Soon afterwards,
they accompanied him to Manila when his regiment was transferred there,
and again a year later to San Francisco, where Luba grew up as an
American girl from the time she was three. Tony, as a romanticist,
delighted in Luba's exotic background; and it was curious that they
should have been born within a year of each other on opposite sides of
the Sea of Japan.

Immediately after their marriage, Tony, elated to be transferred to
Valparaiso and looking forward to the pleasant climatic change, was
suddenly diverted, - in another Company emergency, to the steamy
equatorial port of Guayaquil, Ecuador, where besides Panagra, he also
controlled the German Airways taken over by the Ecuadorian Government.
In the quick transfer there was no time to renew inoculations; and six
weeks later, while on an up-country mission, he contracted typhoid
fever; and in spite of being flown to Lima in a special Panagra plane
and placed in the Anglo-American Hospital where everything possible was
done, he died on April 18/1944. He is buried in the English Cemetery at
Lima, with the poignant lines from Rupert Brooke on his tombstone: -
"Day that I have loved, I close your eyes."

For poor Luba, who had been at his side throughout has death only four
months after their wedding was a cruel tragedy; and for his parents and
brothers, a lasting sorrow.  Every one loved him and his high spirit
was so contagious that one of his classmates wrote: - "All of us who
went through Haverford with Tony came out with something of him in our

Luba returned, broken hearted, to America, flying directly to her
mother in San Francisco then coming on to stay awhile with Tony's
parents in Summit, who loved her at once.  Having been, before her
marriage, a career secretary in the Foreign Service, she was quickly
reinstated and, at her own request, sent to the other side of the
world, - to Ankara, Turkey.  There, by strange fate, she met a young
Englishman startlingly like Tony, Clive Parry, - who, as Tony had done,
fell in love with her at sight.  A year later they were married in
Ankara on May 2O/1945.  Clive, a graduate of Cambridge University,
(later Dean of Downing College and an L.L.D.) spoke five languages,
including Turkish, had served with the British Council in the Far East,
and at the time he met Luba was teaching Law in the University of
Ankara. He has since been one of the Legal Advisers to the British
Delegation at United Nations and has also lectured at Harvard and
several other American Colleges, on leave from Cambridge University.
Though their home has been in Cambridge since their marriage these
other engagements have meant lengthy stays in America during which they
have invariably visited Tony's parents, both in Summit and in Virginia,
Clive having become as much one of the family as Luba, holding Tony's
memory in chivalrous affection; and a close bond exists between him and
Tony's brothers.

They have two children, Katherine born at Cambridge, England March
15/1946, and Anthony, born in New York City January 18/1949, - named
after Tony and to whom Dick is godfather. Both children are being
educated in England, Tony now at Rugby. They each have a warm place in
the hearts of Tony's parents and when Tony was five he stayed over a
month with them in "Missing Acres" Virginia, while Luba, Clive and
Katherine visited Mrs Gustus in San Francisco.  His governess,
Marjorie Bird, was also with him and it was the last time the family
have been all together with the "Old Folks".

Initial Issue Date: 11 July 2000
15/6/2001: resaved HTML from Word